Monday, September 6, 2010

The Ties that Bind


Last weekend I got some "time to myself". Ah, magic words for any mom. My husband asked when the baby was going to be fed next, and I told him I had half an hour. "I tell you what? Why don't you let me finish up what I'm doing here and you can get some time to yourself?"

Now, with only 30 minutes to start with, and hubby needing to "finish up", I knew this was a roll of the dice. But I have learned: you never turn down an offer of time away from the house without children. Fifteen minutes later, I was out the door. You know what I did with all that free time? I went to CVS and bought diapers. I even used a coupon and cashed in some Extra Bucks.

Yep! After seven days of constantly being with the Munchkins, instead of lingering (if only for a few moments) over a cup of coffee, or just going on a walk to clear my head, I bought diapers. And I was back with three minutes to spare.

Seriously. I need to get a life.

Except I have a life. A rather full one actually. It's just that it's full of... well, diapers. And Elmo. And teething tablets. (I would add "and cleaning" here, but I'd just be lying.) Being a mom is probably the single most important thing I have ever pursued. Motherhood deserves a lot of my time and attention. But not all of it. Starting today, I am going to try and remember what it was I did with my free time before I had kids - and the next time I have thirteen minutes to myself, you won't find me shopping for diapers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Getting to go to the store without children is a luxury at my house. I take my son almost everywhere. When I go by myself, I feel to relaxed.

Stopping from Mama's Little Nestwork!

Grandma DeeDee said...

You are so funny! I love it.