Wednesday, October 20, 2010

When Words Collide

You know that Seinfeld episode where George yells "Everybody knows, you gotta keep your worlds apart!!!" Well, I know just how he feels.

I recently ran into Gigi over at Kludgy Mom during my travels in the blogosphere. She is one great blogger, and I had a lot to learn from her. I brazenly asked if she would stop by over here at Sunshine SAHM and give me her honest opinion. I've been at this just a little over two months, and I'm still trying to find my way. Her response was fantastic, and she identified something that's been nagging at me for awhile, but that I couldn't identify on my own.

Quite simply, my worlds are colliding.

Kludgy Mom wrote: "[Some posts] sound like you are writing for your family and friends that you know in person; the other posts sound like you are writing for a different audience. So I would say what any other bloggy veteran would say. First you need to decide what your goals are."

Well, I started this blog because I admired my friend's blog over at Uno, Dos, Tracey. I had no idea there were entire communities devoted to sharing their experiences with one another in blogland. Meeting other people (Adults! With intelligent things to say!) was a perk I discovered after "joining the club".

I also started this blog for grandma and grandpa. And Auntie. And my best friend. You know, the people who care about my kids and our life, and rarely get to see or talk to us because I've been bodily attached to a child in one form or another for 18 of the last 22 months.

I have been trying to live with one foot on both of these worlds - letting my family know what has been going on with us while writing posts that will appeal to those who don't know my family personally. So I looked at my goals and made a decision.


Sunshine SAHM is for my family. While I enjoy meeting other people who are sharing similar experiences, my readers should know that what you can expect to see here are blurry and/or poorly lit pictures of my kids doing kid things. And semi-literate posts about what it's like to live with those kids. And while I think my kids are adorable and fascinating, you might not. Unless you're grandma and grandpa. Which is kind of the point.

I've decided to leave the networking for another day. I've also decided to cut back to two scheduled posts per week (Sorry Grands!), until I have a better schedule set up at home. Robert asked that I only blog if it didn't interfere with our home life, and I need to be sure to honor that.

I'll continue Another Week Gone on Fridays, and have one more post on Tuesdays. There will probably be more updates on the kids and less formal writing "for the public". But since I love to write, you'll still get some snarkiness from time to time. In fact, you may see more posts overall, just in SASS form, to keep you up to date on the fun day to day stuff.

If you don't know me in person, I'd like to say that I've really appreciated the friends I've made and plan to continue those relationships. You won't see any more blog hops or networking badges though. I'm going to just plant my family in this little corner of the digital world, and if you enjoy visiting, I'd love to have you.

My heartfelt thanks again to Gigi over at Kludgy Mom. My worlds are no longer colliding. I'm back to just one - where the sun is always shining.


Except, of course, when it's not. But don't worry, I'll be sure to tell you all about it.


No comments: