Thursday, August 5, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine!

I am not a morning person. My favorite quote about mornings is "If people were meant to just 'pop' out of bed , we'd all sleep in toasters." This, I'm certain, is why God has chosen to bless me with two early risers.

The other night, just as I crawled into bed, my son woke up crying for a meal. Now, when I say "just crawled into bed", I'm not exaggerating. The timing was perfect enough to even elicit a chuckle from my husband due to the irony. Yes, maybe I'd been overly optimistic, hoping the baby would skip the late night feeding on this particular night - but sometimes he does, so I always hold out hope...

"Okay, okay," I thought,"hopefully the late night feeding means he'll sleep in a little later in the morning since his little belly will be full." Isn't it cute how we moms try to convince ourselves the payoff for our sacrifices are just around the corner?

Fast forward to 3 am. (Trust me, it seemed really fast at the time.) Now, little man has gas and is screaming for us to do something about it. Hubby's alarm goes off at 4:30 am, so I do my best to quiet the baby so my hard working husband can get in his last bit of sleep before having to go to work and pretend like he can function on half the amount of sleep he used to get. Three-thirty, and the intestinal trauma has passed (literally) so a tired Mama heads back to bed.

"Maybe the kids will sleep in 'till almost eight today, so I can get some rest..."

It's been known to happen.

Why are you smiling?

FOUR THIRTY A.M. My daughter wakes up crying out her new morning greeting, "Poo-poo, poo-poo." Ever since we've started potty training, this has been her mantra. I stumble out of bed and go to get her. We head to the potty chair together. She's already gone pee, so we're just going through the motions at this point. Luckily, even though my daughter is prone to waking up early, she's not a morning person either. We both sit there in a mostly catatonic state, her on the potty, me on the bathroom floor leaning up against the cabinets. Who says being a mom isn't exciting?

Finally, she breaks out of her stupor and stands up. I lean over to help her stand and get her Pull-Ups ready. When she is finally dressed and ready, it is then that my cotton sleeping pants rip right up the middle of my backside. Trust me, I couldn't make this stuff up. I had been in a sitting position on my knees, leaning forward to help her... and when I sat back after helping... well, there just wasn't enough fabric to hold it all in I guess. This day was shaping up to be just FANTASTIC.

I was way too tired to get upset. In fact, I almost laughed, as this is just the kind of thing that happens to us mothers all the time. Murphys Law says anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Mommy's Law says anything that can go wrong will arrive covered in peanut butter and jelly, with a full diaper, dragging a blanket that's seen more dirt than a John Deere. Oh, and it must receive a full body hug immediately or the world may come to an end.

After almost an hour of snuggling on the couch, the sippy cup of milk sat empty next to me, my husband had kissed me goodbye and left for work, and my daughter was finally ready to head back to bed. I kissed the top of her head and she immediately lay down in the classic baby position - with her butt straight up in the air, and her face down in her blankie. I headed off to get just a few more hours of sleep before my little ones awoke with more energy for the day than I've had all year.

I lay down in the classic adult position: falling straight into bed and sleeping in whatever spot I'd hit the matress. After all, in the baby position there would have been a draft.

No comments: