Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The First of Many

I have hundreds of blog posts written, but you'll never read them. You see, up until this moment, they've always been written in my head.

As a mother of two children under age two, I have lots of dialogues with myself; trying to have these conversations with my daughter just doesn't produce the results I was hoping for. Instead, I've become an expert at commenting on the state of the union within my own brain. It's only recently, after reading other blogs from moms (see my list) that I realized it might help to let a few of these random thoughts actually escape.

Welcome to a sneak peak at my home, and the craziness that comes with it. As I mentioned before I have two children. Grace is almost two, and is in the midst of being potty trained. There are LOTS of stories that come with that, but you'll have to wait for another day. Mark is almost four months, and seems to be an angel compared to his sister. Not that his sister is a terror - it's just that she's mobile. And almost two. Mark, on the other hand, just lays there and smiles at you from time to time. Oh sure, he fusses and cries, but somehow, chasing a two year old with a bare bottom and wild hair just seems so much more difficult...

I've recently discovered that reading other mom's experiences about the joys and trials of motherhood (especially the trials) somehow makes me feel better. It makes me feel that saying "And don't poop in the closet!" isn't actually as crazy as it sounds.

Oh, don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about.

There are certain things that only a parent, and sometimes, only a mother, can understand. The problem is that mothers have a lot to do: cleaning, cooking, wiping bottoms and noses, kissing boo-boos, doing laundry (LOTS of laundry), policing brawls and maintaining our appearance. (Ha! I just put that last one in there to throw you off. You're still with me right?)

The chance to sit with another mom and say "Your kid does that too?" is simply a luxury we don't have. So blogs have become my outlet. My way of checking in with the other moms in the world and realizing that not only am I normal, but my kids are too. Who knew?

When you get a chance, check in from time to time. Maybe you'll find you're normal too. But no promises.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Okay if you look at the time stamp you will know I am online while my children watch Arthur, but I really should be getting them dressed for school, which means I have not actually read the brilliance posted above, but I will during nap time. I just wanted to be the first follower.

Tracey said...

Ok, I am back. I got a load of dishes running and the counters cleaned off. I stopped in for a visit before I have to go back in there and do the hand washing and the floors.

I like it here. I'll be back. I'll bring coffee. We can drop some of those M&M's you keep for Grace's potty training rewards in there and make a mommy-mocha.