Friday, November 12, 2010

Another Week Gone...

We didn't "go and do" much this week, but we still managed to have quite an adventure. Here's the run down:

Both kids tried to kill themselves. Well, maybe killing themselves wasn't the intent, but they still managed to scare the living daylights out of me (do you lose weight when that happens?).  Grace might have eaten a prescription bottle of lotion. Poison control said she may have extra dirty diapers, but that's about it. She seems to be none the worse for wear, so that's good.

Mark found a small part of a leaf on the entry way tile. I came around the corner after having just taken Grace to the potty, and found him red faced and gagging. After having the living daylights scared out of me the afternoon before, all I had left was sheer panic. I picked him up, leaving his head in a semi-down facing position. He seemed to clear (or swallow) the leaf on his own. He was a tad frightened, but seemed fine. I gave him some water, and we all went on our merry way. About an hour later, after breakfast had been eaten, I came in from the garage and found this:

Why are you looking at me that way?
Doesn't everyone do this?

I didn't realize until after I took the picture that there was a tiny part of a leaf in all that loveliness. Well, at least I won't be finding it in his diaper. (Yes, I stopped to take a picture - really now, how much worse could it have gotten at that point? Yes, those are finger streaks in the pile. He's already turning into a great little helper, trying to clean up after himself.)

At naptime on Tuesday, Gracie found a new way to entertain herself. Previous entertainment attempts have included taking off her diaper (dry - thank goodness), banging her feet against the wall, climbing onto the bookcase beside her bed, and making every sound possible, from zerberts to tongue clicking.

Tuesday, she decided to collect spit in her mouth, push it through her teeth until it was nice and frothy, then spit it out in little dots all over her dark sheets, making pretty little spit patterns. Joy. I suppose I could have gotten a picture of that, but frankly, I had other things to do.

So here is the latest. It's hard to explain what happened, but I can tell you it was hilarious. She is not supposed to get out of bed, so when I went to check on her and saw this, I ran to get my camera. The first time she heard the shutter click, she suddenly got very, very still. I clicked again. And again. She stayed on that ledge, still as a stone. I could feel the tension in her, as she knew she'd been caught red handed.


Um, Gracie?  I can still see you.

Look mom, I'm doing my rock star
modeling pose! Aren't I cute?

Finally she popped out from underneath, with that big grin on her face. Don't let her fool you. She knows she's in trouble, but she always tries to "charm smile" her way out of things. Sometimes it actually works.

The kids are learning lots of other things that don't warrant a picture, but keep me on my toes... Grace can now use the pump soap dispenser in the bathroom all by herself. So far I've managed to avoid an all-out soap fest, but my fortune telling skills are hinting that may be coming soon to a blog near you.

Mark can pretty much sit up on his own, and go from a laying down to sitting up position. He is fully mobile, and loves to ignore all the toys we set out for him in favor of playing his own version of "How Clean Is Your House". If there is hair, crayons, food, or, um, leaves on the floor, he is sure to find it. If he breaks out in an English accent soon, my suspicions will be confirmed. Here he is checking the cleanliness of Gracie's kitchen toys:

Yeah, this one needs a little more scrubbing...
Mark has also, on multiple occasions, made the "Ma" sound. He hasn't said "MaMa", but I just know it's coming! Gracie's first word was DaDa, so I'm not encouraging Mark to change his pattern in any way.

I mentioned last week that Gracie has been very nice to her brother on many occasions, giving me heart flutters. Here he is after she gave him every piece of her toy kitchen items that would fit on his tray. He loved it.

Don't try to butter me up buttercup!
I'm coming back for re-inspections next week!

And here they are playing peek a boo. He didn't love this one quite as much:


Gracie, are you sure this is a game? Gracie?


Lastly, Gracie demonstrated a new way to sit in her high chair. She didn't like it as much as she thought she would:

I'm so disappointed!
They told me this chair had a massage option!
Hope I'm the only one who had to call Poison Control this week... keep an eye on your little ones, they're a sneaky bunch. Tomorrow we're headed to Auntie Kim's to celebrate November birthdays with the clan. A children's museum is on the agenda, so I'm really looking forward to sharing our adventures with all of you next week!

No comments: